Following a surge in cases of coronavirus across Europe, and an increase in the risk alert level issued by national Governments and the World Health Organisation, the ISF and FMF are continuing their discussions regarding the date of the planned Intercontinental Cup.
Both the ISF and FMF are keen to ensure that the tournament goes ahead as soon as possible, particularly as the 2020 World Cup has been postponed until 2021, however they agree that that the tournament can only proceed in October if there are appropriate measures in place which will protect the health and safety of all event participants. The ISF Medical Director, Dr Richard Johnson, who is responsible for sanctioning the competition, is closely monitoring the advice of the WHO and the safety measures being implemented at the tournament venue, at the team hotels and on team transport to ensure that appropriate measures are implemented and risks are mitigated so that ISF is able to fulfil its duty of care to protect members.
A statement is due to be issued on Monday 5th October which will confirm whether Dr Johnson from ISF and Dr Stefanet from FMF are satisfied that the tournament is able to proceed safely, or whether a new date for the tournament will be arranged. The statement will be shared on ISF’s website, and ISF will also be contacting teams directly to keep them updated on the situation.
The tournament is due to be held on the purpose-built new stadium for small sided football, that has just opened in Chisinau (pictured).